Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Our Hope and Shield

As we go through life we have a great tendency to shrink God down. Either that or we find that our sinful nature is either telling us that we are not worth this great and powerful God's time or it brings him down so that he doesn't catch our eye anymore as the massive God that he is. The wonders that he does from creating the universe to just making you and I. Psalm 33:6 says, "By the word of the Lord were the heavens made, their starry host by the breath of his mouth." This just absolutely blows my mind away as I realize that God didn't lift a finger to create the universe. It says by the word of the Lord. We may have to go back to the beginning when God began creation. In Genesis it says "And God said, "Let their be light," and their was light." You see, all God had to do was speak and out of his mouth came light and stars and the heavens. So right away we see that this God that we worship and this God that we praise is not some tiny God that is the size of our Bible or our devotion book, but this God that we worship is huge and massive and gigantic. And so the question comes up, "Then why does he care about me?" If you keep reading in Psalm 33:10 it says, "But the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love, to deliver them from death and keep them alive in famine." Our God is making a promise to us here, he is letting us know that his eyes are on us as children of God. That if you believe in him that he will deliver you from death which he did through the cross. This star breathing, universe creating God that we have became the sin baring, human sacrifice for you and I and he cares about you a lot. In Colossians the first chapter we read that everything in this universe was created by God and for God. This again shows the power and greatness of God and how big he is. But as you continue to read Paul makes a statement that just blows me away. It says that because God made all things that in him all things hold together. This gives me the ultimate picture of God. Someone that is huge and massive and breathes out stars but them comes back and holds everything in my life and your life together. Notice though that he didn't promise that everything would be easy and that life would just get easier to deal with. We can go back to Psalm 33 and we can see in verse twenty it says, "We wait in hope for the Lord, he is our help and our shield." During the bad times and during the times when you feel like you are all alone and discouraged and during the times when you feel like God doesn't see your troubles and care about your troubles it says that he is our help and shield. It doesn't promise and easy life and a struggle free life but God does promise that he will be there with you every step of the way. And as I read through so many different blogs and talk to different people in my life I seem to be getting the same question. Is God their and does he care? I just wanted to let everyone out their know that they are a miracle and they are someone special and unique. Our Creator knit you together in your mother's womb and knows the number of hairs on your head. He wants that personal relationship with you and created you to be with him in heaven. He made you exactly the way he wanted and he made you to perfection. And as we look and the bigness of God and how he made the universe and everything in it and what he did on that cross for us I think it is safe to say that our God doesn't make mistakes. You are beautiful just the way you are and don't change the way you look, act, or what you believe for anyone, because the creator of the universe made you in his image and to complete perfection. He gives strength to the weak and rest to the weary.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Ben, I really needed this today. Although I know God and His love for me, I need reminders like this when I'm feeling discouraged or down. This really lifted me and motivated me to seek God more, even tonight when I'm tired and ready to go to bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this reminder. May God Bless you Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He gives strength to the weak.
    That sentence right there describes so so much! Rest to the weary?

    Wow. He protects the weak... He gets us through.. it's incredible incredible.. awestruck. that's how I feel when I think about God's strength!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I think about God I see him as massive but also concerned with my own problems on an intimate level.

    ReplyDelete